(Spit) Butler
Gwared
2005-03-20 11:07:22 UTC
Has anyone comiserated with the miserable sod 'cos the team he so obviously
loves came fourth?
Martyn Winters
2005-03-20 17:35:23 UTC
Post by Gwared
Has anyone comiserated with the miserable sod 'cos the team he so
obviously loves came fourth?
I think you're entirely wrong about Butler. I think he loves Welsh Rugby and
the Welsh National Team, but he lives in a world of fear. For so long he
scarcely dared speak ill of the English, because they have been so good for
so long, now they are ordinary, the words escape him. Remember, he is an
employee of the BBC, which is a subsidiary of England PLC. For him to fight
a Welsh corner all these years would have resulted in him being pilloried,
subject to ridicule and ultimately he would have been sacked. He's not there
to fight for Wales, he's there to comment upon the match. Brian Moore does
the same, admittedly with more humour and insight, but he was not slow to
praise Wales. Do you think the English view him in the same light as Butler?

Butler isn't a very good commentator because he fears for Wales - how many
times have we heard him whining "Oh no", when things go wrong, he's slow to
praise because he fears it will all go pear shaped. The man might not be the
best supporter of Wales, but he's no supporter of England. Not really. He
just pretends.
Rob Stradling
2005-03-20 21:27:42 UTC
Post by Martyn Winters
Post by Gwared
Has anyone comiserated with the miserable sod 'cos the team he so
obviously loves came fourth?
I think you're entirely wrong about Butler.
I agree.

The view of Butler as an anglophobe has always been a myth, born out of
some Welsh fans' frustration with his refusal to indulge in precisely
the kind of sour grapes that some of his English colleagues are now
spouting.

Eddie must be secretly loving it.
Rob Stradling
2005-03-20 22:27:57 UTC
Post by Rob Stradling
The view of Butler as an anglophobe has always been a myth,
...when I meant "anglophile", of course.

And I'm not even pissed.
Martyn Winters
2005-03-21 20:41:12 UTC
It's okay, I'm still pissed and Butler confuses the life out of me.
Mark Evans
2005-03-24 20:33:30 UTC
Post by Rob Stradling
Post by Martyn Winters
Post by Gwared
Has anyone comiserated with the miserable sod 'cos the team he so
obviously loves came fourth?
I think you're entirely wrong about Butler.
I agree.
The view of Butler as an anglophobe has always been a myth, born out of
some Welsh fans' frustration with his refusal to indulge in precisely
the kind of sour grapes that some of his English colleagues are now
spouting.
Eddie must be secretly loving it.
I agree too and I actually quite like EBs commentating style; not
getting too exited, able to include good points due to his rugby
background plus some good comments on reflection. The Scottish
Commentator (please never mention by name) used to drive me mad!

I saw Rugby Special from Cardiff RFC the other day and EB told a
fantastic story. Near the end he tried to get Brian Moore on the
headset and found that he had "lost him". When he turned he saw Brian
without headphones looking all around in silent amazement. When Brian
put his headphones back on he told EB, "I have got it, finally I
understand what this means to the Welsh people".

Well done again the boys.

Cheers,
Mark
Hull but ex Cardiff
Gwared
2005-03-25 01:16:04 UTC
I cannot, I simply cannot agree that (Spit) Butler is ANYTHING other than
anti-Welsh!
Wake up and smell the Bullshit you people!
The bloke is a f***ing embarrassment!

Just a couple of points:

"I like his commenting style 'cos he does not get too excited"
Fuck me, didn't the Great Bill get excited then? Did Cliff Morgan get
excited?
Rugby is a passionate game - YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GET EXCITED!
'Course they did you arse-hole!

Sorry Martyn, but you are so wrong.
(Spit) Butler does NOT live "in a world of fear".
Commentaing is his SECOND job.
He is a journalist first (and we all love them don't we)?
What is he afraid of then? Losing his (part-time) job?
He is NOT employed by the BBC!
How many times have I heard the arse-hole go "Oh No"?
Mostly as soon as Wales Kick off.

The real problem with the bloke is that his knowledge if rugby is very
shallow.
He was (at best) a mediocre player for Wales, and a bloody disastrous
Captain!
(He also played for Pontypool when they played the worst rugby imaginable -
I know, I was there).
He's an ex-forward who hasn't got the brains to do much in life, and he's
lucky to be where he is!

It's up to us to expose the cretin.